Dal tadka is the most common and frequently cooked dish in every family.
- Toovar dal (split yellow pigeon peas) – 11/2 cup
- Tomato – 1 finely chopped
- Small onion- 1 finely chopped
- Green chili finely chopped - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
For Tadka (Frying the dal)
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder -1/2 tsp
- Ginger – Garlic paste - 1tbsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter/Ghee -1tbsp
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp finely chopped (for garnish)
- Wash toovar dal, soak for 30 minutes.
- Add soaked dal, turmeric powder, salt, chopped green chili, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion and 3 cups of water in the pressure cooker.
- Cover the pressure cooker and set on the stove at a high flame. After the first 'whistle'/ pressure release, reduce the flame to simmer and cook for 2 more 'whistles'/ pressure releases. Turn off the fire and release the pressure from the cooker.
- Now open the pressure cooker and stir the boiled lentils well to blend into a smooth soup-like consistency.
- For tadka, heat oil and butter in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let it crackle. Then add ginger-garlic paste and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add 2 dry red chilies.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala powder to the tadka and immediately pour it over the cooked dal.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro
- Serve with plain boiled rice or with naan.