- 1 cup ripe mango, pureed
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp chickpea flour
- 5-6 cups cold water
- 2 medium hot green chillies, minced (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste according to how sweet mangoes are
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- Combine the yogurt, chickpea flour, water, chillies and ginger. Mix well & Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the ghee, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, methi seeds, curry leaves, cloves and asafoetida.
- When aromatic, add the yogurt mixture and stir constantly until it comes to a gentle boil on a medium/low heat. This is to ensure that the mixture does not curdle.
- When the mixture is gently simmering, add the turmeric, salt, mango puree and sugar. Adjust the consistency with water if you like, and simmer for a further 4-5 minutes. Taste to check for hot, sweet and sour.
- Serve with hot basmati rice, chapattis or puri.