- 3 cup Rice
- 1 cup Urad dal
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp black pepper crushed
- 1 tsp sugar ( optional)
- 1 tsp soda bi-carbonate
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 3-4 green chillies slitted
- chopped cilantro
- Soak rice & urad dal separately for 5-6 hours.
- Then grind both of them into a fine paste & mix them together.
- Cover it & keep it for around 6-7 hours for fermentation.
- After 6-7 hours in the fermented batter add ginger paste, salt, sugar, soda, oil & mix very well.
- Oil the dhokla stand plates, pour a little batter, sprinkle coarsely ground pepper corns or you can use black pepper powder and steam it in a pressure cooker without the whistle or in a steamer.
- The dhokla should be ready in about 15 minutes time. You can check if dhoklas are cooked by passing steel knife through it, if it comes out clean it is done.
- Cut it in diamond shapes.
- Now make the seasoning, heat 11/2 tsp oil in a pan then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds.
- When they stop spluttering add curry leaves & slitted green chillies.
- Pour this seasoning over the dhokla & sprinkle chopped cilantro.
Serve hot or cold with green chutney or tamarind chutney.