May 18, 2010
Khandvi / Surali Wadi
This is one of the yummy Gujarathi dish. This is a perfect dish for teatime snack. But the key to making Khandvi is to get the batter to the right consistency and to get it to roll . By personal experience lots of time I have made big flop in this if my measurement goes wrong. But I am sure you will have fun to make this dish & while eating this khandvi it is alway yummy .........!!!!!!
• Bengal gram flour - 1 cup
• Buttermilk - 1 cup
• Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
• Oil - 2 tablespoon
• Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon (optional)
• Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
• Coconut scraped - 1 tablespoon
• Coriander leaves - A few
• Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
• Green chillies - 2 no's chopped
• Curry leaves - A few
• Salt to taste
• Mix besan, salt and turmeric powder in buttermilk to form a batter.
• Heat oil in a heavy pan, add batter and stir continuously to avoid lump formation.
• Cook till the mixture does not taste raw, stirring continuously, when done pour a ladleful on a plate or you can use aluminum foil.
• Spread as thin as possible with the back of a large flat spoon, in circular outward movements as for dosas.
• When cool, cut into 2" wide strips carefully roll each strip, repeat for all plates.
• For seasoning heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds , asafoetida, curry leaves and chillies.
• Finally add sesame seeds and immediately pour over rolls, garnish with coconut and coriander leaves.
• Enjoy khandvi with garlic/green chutney.