- Whole Urad Dal/Skinned black gram: 3/4th cup
- Fenugreek/ Methi seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Ragi flour/finger millet flour : 2 cups
- Salt: As needed.
- Oil for idli mould to grease.
- Soak the urad dal & fenugreek seeds together for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Grind the urad dal & fenugreek seeds to a very smooth & fine paste with the water used for soaking.
- Scoop out the urad dal mixture to a large utensil. Add the ragi flour, salt & adjust the consistency of the batter (add little water at a time). Batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Allow the batter to ferment overnight or a minimum of 8 hours.
- The batter would have doubled after fermentation. Mix the batter gently.
- Grease the idli moulds. Add enough water to the steamer.
- Add about 2 tbsp of batter to each mould & steam the idlis for 15-20 mins.
- Turn off the heat. Let the idlis cook in the steam for couple of more mins. Remove the mould from the steamer.
- Scoop out the idlis using a spoon or a spatula.
- Serve idlis hot with a sambar & a chutney of your choice.