Nov 16, 2009
Mix Dal Medu Vada
• 1 cup of black gram (urad dal)
• ½ cup chana dal
• ½ cup moong dal
• Salt to taste
• Pinch of hing
• 8-10 curry leaves roughly chopped
• 3-4 green chilies, finely chopped
• 1 tsp grated ginger
• 2 tbsp thin slices of coconut
• 1 tsp of cumin powder
• 1 tsp of crushed black peppercorns
• Oil to fry
• Wash and soak urad dal, chana dal and moong dal for six to eight hours.
• Grind into a fine paste. Use less water when grinding. Batter should be not very thick or not very thin.
• Add salt, hing, chopped curry leaves, chopped green chili, grated ginger, slices of coconut, cumin powder and crushed peppercorns to the batter and mix well.
• Heat oil in a kadai. Turn the heat on a medium high.
• For shape up the vada, take small thick plastic sheet like zip log bag. Grease with little oil or wet with some water. Place 2 tbsp batter on it & make a hole in the centre of the batter like a doughnut. Hold the plastic sheet in your left hand, wet your right hand. Transfer this batter to your right hand fingers & carefully leave it into the hot oil.
• Deep-fry this in medium hot oil until golden brown and crisp.
• Serve hot with sambhar or coconut chutney.