- 2 cups gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp. ajwain Powder
- Oil, for deep frying
- Salt, to taste
- Mix besan, chili powder, hing, ajwain powder and a little hot oil. Knead well, adding water as necessary, into soft dough. Divide into small portions.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Place a portion of dough in a sev mould, hold the mould over the hot oil and press carefully until the entire dough portion is passed through the sieves at the base of the mould.
- Let the sev fall gently into the hot oil; guide the fall into circles of sev by moving the mould in a circular motion.
- Turn and fry the sev until golden and crisp. Drain and place on paper towel.
- Cool it and store in an airtight container